Saturday, May 30, 2015

Self adhesive silence

I remember the first ride, when I was driving my Daihatsu F50 all the way from Lappland. It was totally different to any other car I ever had before. One of the more noticeable things was the noice! Now, since this is actually my daily driver - no kidding - I have set out for a quest to make this car as silent as a Mercedes S-klass. Or at least less noisy, let's settle for that.
So, here's what I have added earlier on.
- Bitumen noice reduction mats to the inside of the doors.
- 30mm foam padding to the sides under the rear side windows
- Covered the rear doors with MDF-panels and a piece of bitumen mat.
- Wrapped most of the trunk area with mats.
- Attached sheets of bitumen in the footwells.
- Put a cotton ball in the glove compartment ;-)



All of this helped to bring the noice down but there was still one thing that I wanted to do and that was to get some thick self adhesive foam for the hood - or bonnet as they say in the UK.
So now I bought two large sheets at Biltema, degreased the inside of the hood and pretty much smacked them in place. No problems, real easy to work with and the glue seems to stick really well.
And yes, it made a difference! The sound of the engine is noticeably dampened. Only thing is that when one sound decreases an other sound will get more apparent. In this case it's the sound of the wind leaking through the top of the doors. So that will be next then. Where will it end...
Anyway, this turned out good and it was fairly cheap as well. Think I paid something like €24 for the two sheets.

Sticky stuff! I don't want any of that in my beard.

The purpose of that shiny foil is to deflect heat from the foam - looks pretty cool as well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment