Tuesday, May 5, 2015

New mirrors

Before and after. Styles for miles!
This car came with just one exterior mirror when I bought it - don't know if that's common in Australia?
The original mirror was clamped to a steel rod with a plastic bracket bolted to the door. That bracket wasn't very sturdy so the mirror would start vibrating at higher speed. It should have come with a message printed on the glass - "The ten cars you see are actually just one" ;-)


Since I tend to be rather fussy about wanting stuff to look the way I want them to I started to look around for that perfect set of mirrors. Turned out to be harder than I thought. I didn't want any plastic versions but rather something with more of an early Land Cruiser flavour. After an endless search I decided to make my own. I got a mirror from a vintage army tractor and I made the mounting bracket from a piece of L-profile steel I had laying around in the garage.
I had a real eureka-moment when I found a towel hanger with arms of stainless steel, just had to unbolt the arms, cut of a bit and bend them to shape in the vice. A splash of black paint on the bracket and some allen bolts from a bike and it's done. Turned out great, just the look I was after and they are sturdy as well. Now the ten cars in the mirror are down to one, or perhaps two.


1 comment:

  1. I need one for my 1967 FJ40....Can you make one and send it to Chelan,Wa.USA?
    Sorta kidding, but I do need one, no army trucks close by..

    ReplyDelete