Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Nice car, but where's the cup holders?

Yup, this ride came without cupholders. Actually, it came without pretty much any gadgets or fancy extras, and I think that's part of the beauty. Just a bare bones rugged 4x4, created to cross deserts and climb mountains.
But you got to have your cupholders, right?

Since I am a product developer/inventor by trade I find great pleasure in making my own stuff. Although, the main obstacle wasn't how to make it but rather where to put it?
After a while I came up with a pretty cool idea. I took off the ashtray - don't smoke anyways - and decided to use the sliding rails that held it in place under the dash.

My Hopps cupholder

I just love to incorporate stuff that gives me that feelgood vibe, like skateboard parts and vintage bicycle components - preferably Campagnolo.
So, here's what I came up with; I took one of my worn Hopps skateboard decks and cut out like a mini board out of that and then two cup size holes out of that. I glued strips of rubber on the inside to keep the cups in a snug fit. The sliding connector piece was done with a piece of durable plastic that I attached to the board. I added some spacers to make the board sit level. And finally, a logo badge from a vintage Campagnolo clamp. Schweeeet!

It's real easy to use and it turned out real sturdy. No more coffe in my lap in the roundabouts!

And there it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment