Thursday, May 7, 2015

Adding flair and functionality to the back doors

This car is so easy to work on, it's almost as if it was made of Meccano.
There are no flimsy plastic panels and almost everything is bolted together rather than welded, so almost everything can be taken apart and serviced or repaired.
Mmm.. looks cozy.

Here's a little something about some details and improvements I've done on the back doors.

First off, I wanted panels on the inside to reduce some noice.
I attached some kind of really hard sheets of fiberboard - MDF perhaps?


Next up was the inside door handle. The main piece was gone and needed a replacement.
I drilled a hole in the remaining piece and attached a Campagnolo axle from a front hub.
I had a  piece of copper tube that I cut to size and bolted it together with nuts from the hub.
Note to self: Got to do more stuff with copper.

Restoration or art project? A bit of both.

There's a spring loaded catch at the top and bottom of the right hand door and both should be pulled at the same time in order to open the door. I wanted to change that so that I could open the door with one hand. I solved that by connecting them both with a wire from a bicycle. So I just pull the wire to the side and open sesame!
That arrow thing comes from a army surplus store. I think it has to do with ejector seats in fighter jets.

DANGER - Do not open at supersonic speed



1 comment: