Friday, July 31, 2015

New exhaust pipe and custom made mud flaps


Everything on my Daihatsu Taft looks pretty fresh now, at least from a distance. The only things that I have not put my hand to yet is the exhaust pipe, rear bumper and tail lights. So today I took care of the exhaust pipe.

It wasn't broken but it had lots of rust and a silly piece of chrome pipe stuck at the end. I don't mean to offend anyone but I think that bling bling add-ons is a terrible mismatch on this type of a vehicle. I prefer the straight forward look of the standard galvanized steel pipe. But that's just me.


I went for a pipe with a slight angle. I think that looks pretty cool and it keeps the right tail light clean. Funny how such a simple thing as a mounting a fresh piece of pipe can make me feel genuinely happy!

I decided to get some mud flaps. I couldn't find what I wanted untill I saw these plastic cutting boards at Biltema, they are just perfect!The ones I got are 2,5mm thick and 370 x 290mm in size and they only cost 2 euros each - what a bargain!
Flexible, strong and quite slick. I guess most mud will slide right off.

I started by making a mockup out of cardboard at first. The right side is a bit tricky the way the exhaust pipe exits right behind the back tire so a mockup makes it much easier to get it right.


The small cut out seen on the right mud flap is there to make it stay clear of the leaf spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment