Thursday, July 30, 2015

Got a new air filter and gained some space

One of the first things you'll notice when you pop the hood of a Daihatsu F50 is that big black tin jar to the left.
It contains the air filter and it's designed to handle some pretty brutal conditions, like sandstorms and river crossings. Thing is, it's a bit of an overkill for my daily riding conditions since there's not many deserts around here and I tend to use the bridges. So I took it off.



With the brackets and tubes it weighs a massive 7 kilos (or 15,5pounds). Always nice to shed some weight!


And here's what I got instead. Yes, my Daihatsu Taft is now converted to a race car!
I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but I think it feels a tad quicker on the trottle respons.
Anyways, this switch wasn't about performance, the biggest gain is the space I made in the engine compartment. It gives me much better access for adjustments and cleaning.
I might ad some sort of heat shield for the new air filter but I'm not sure that's needed. We'll see.

I was expecting a bit more noice but that's hardly noticeable - what a shame ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I'll be doing the same conversion to my Daihatsu F50 this weekend. Mainly because it was sold without the original air cleaner. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I am sure it will work just great.
      Thanks for your comments :-)

      Delete