Monday, August 3, 2015

Rear bumper off and new tail lights on


I've had plans to improve the tail lights and rear bumper for some time now but it hasn't happend until now. A dutch tourist inspired me to get started. He inspired me by crashing into me! So my crooked rear bumper got even worse and the left tail light cracked. I wasn't to upset about the whole deal - much to his surprise. I was actually quite excited because it helped me to get started!

I've been thinking alot about if I should use the original bumper or if I should be better off without it.
Not an inch on that bumper was straight. It was bent, twisted and dented. Even so I had a go at it in a futile attempt to get it back in shape. Mission impossible. It got better but not nearly good enough.
So I decided to do something different, without the bumper.
I had this idea about making some protective frames around the tail lights. So I bought a new set of tail lights at Biltema (hello again) and then I chopped off a section of some old foldable camping stools. The dimensions were spot on! I think this looks better then the original lights and bumper.
Thanks for your help Mr. Dutch Tourist!


I still have the original right side tail light. It's in fair condition and I would be happy to pass it on if there's a need out there.



3 comments:

  1. Hey Ulf ,
    My name is Brian. I live in Samara Costa Rica. Just got a 1980 f50 about 2 months ago. Much rougher shape but my daily driver. Broke the right rear tail light about a week ago! I'll pay you to ship it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roads here are hell so it takes quite a beating. The sea air and rain don't do much for the rust either. Would love to share some pics and hear some details because yours looks stock and info is so hard to come by. Got a parts car as well but it's totally rusted out and soft top so the trim is all different. Kassbri@gmail.com.
    Later on
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,

    Great to hear from you!
    I am just about to catch a flight to London but I will send you the tail light when I get back on august 17.
    I'm happy to help a F50 brother in need :-)

    It would be great to post some pictures of you and your ride.
    And also if you would like to add a bit of history. I would love to add that to the blog and hopfully it would inspire others to do the same!

    I will contact you on your e-mail about the adress for the delivery.

    Thanks for reading my blog and I will get back to you soon!

    / Ulf

    ReplyDelete