Sunday, November 22, 2015

Jump seats - Yeah!

I'm just super pleased with this project! I made jump seats using parts from a vintage camping bed. It's all custom made. I even made the cushions from scratch and I can't even remember the last time I used a sewing machine. But here goes!


It started out with the bed that I found at a thrift store. I chopped off the ends, took off the springs and trimmed the legs and moved them from the sides to the end.
The base of the seat was made from a plywood table top. I cut that to match the outline of the bed frame and glued one layer of rubber foam and one layer of sleeping pad on to that.



Next part was the tricky bit - sewing the seat covers. I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube to get an understanding of the process. I could have gone the easy route and made square corners but I wanted them to match the curve of the frame. It wasn't easy but it came together real nice at the end.
I asked for some general advice when I bought the vinyl fabric at "Tygverket" in Stockholm. They said "Measure twice and cut once" - good advice, especially if you are wise enough to follow it. I messed up a couple of times but was able to fix it in the end.


Next up will be a back rest. You'll be sitting pretty straight up so the padding doesn't need to be all that thick. I'm thinking about making them detachable, probably with velcro. That way they can be removed and not get wedged when the seats are up. That would create a bit more space and it looks better when the folded seats are vertical and aligned with the sides. Pet peeves? Yup!



No comments:

Post a Comment