Sunday, January 31, 2016

A jerrycan became a storage box

Here's a fun project that I want to share.
A while back I came up with the idea to convert a jerrycan into a rear mounted storage box.



As I did a search on the web I found out that a lot of people are doing all sorts of cool stuff out of jerrycans. I never saw what I had in mind though.
My idea was to mount it with hinges, so it can be flipped out downwards in a 90 degree angle.
The hidden side should be cut open so I could store stuff in it. I'm thinking ropes, gloves and such.


I found six old jerrycans for sale, just a short ride from where we live.
I payed €10 for the lot. Fair enough :-)

So, are you a jerrycan or a jerrycan't?  ;-)
For a while I thought I should do this project as a step by step tutorial but I decided not to, it's to much of a distraction for me. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out anyway.


The L-shaped framework was made by cutting and welding a beam of a Thule roof rack.
It's bolted to the door using three bolts in the door hinges. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to drill any holes in the door but it I had to do one to hold the right end of the L-shape to the door.

I attached an old brass hinge with pop-rivets to the horizontal beam and the jerrycan.
The opend side is covered from water and dust by this flexible cutting board - same kind as I used for my mud flaps.
As you can see there's also a strap to keep it tight and another strap to take some tension away from the hinge when the box/can is flipped out.

I came up with a pretty cool solution to keep it tight and snug in the upright position.


I took a stainless steel rod and bent it to a Z-shape. One end goes into a hole in the beam and one goes into a slot that I cut into the neck of the jerrycan. When I close the lid it all locks in a firm grip. Pretty sweet!
And I could put a padlock on the lid to keep all my fancy gear safe.


So, what am I going to do with all those extra jerrycans?
I got some ideas...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ulf,

    Greetings from Australia! I love your blog - you have such interesting, cool and clever ideas and ways to make a great thing even better! Until I found my F20 last year, I didn't know anything about them, and your blog showed me concepts I wouldn't see anywhere else. I hope you are still enjoying your baby jeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear from you Melanie and I'm super happy to hear that you like the blog,my modifications and ideas - you made my day :)
      Cool that you got yourself a F20 - congratulations! I'm sure you will have loads of fun with it.
      Yes, I still have mine and I'm considering taking it for a really long ride soon. If so then I will write about it on the blog.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to hear from you, I thought perhaps you didn't have your F50 anymore. I'm excited to hear about your long trip, as I can't imagine travelling far in mine, it's so bumpy! My F20 is named Winnie (you can see our adventures on Instagram @winnie_the_scat).

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear from you too!
    I'm not in Sweden anymore, I'm in southern Portugal now, and just lately I've been thinking a lot about if I should go and get it or not.
    I left it in Sweden and it's been standing there since last summer.
    I feel encouraged by hearing about that you got one that I really should do it. Maybe...
    I'll check your Instagram right away!

    ReplyDelete