Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A third brake light - coolest ever!

A while back I found this old flashlight. It's got this cool feature where you can change the colour of the light. You just shift these three sliding knobs to choose between a green red or blue lens.
I don't know it's original purpose but I guess it's from the fifties or sixties.
I got an idea on what to make of it as soon as I saw the red lens.

You know the tail lights on a Daihatsu Taft are mounted down low and so they are barely visable in a traffic jam. Modern car solves this with a third brake light and that's what I wanted to do with this, a third brake light with a vintage flavour!


I started by removing the clips and mounts for batteries, reflector and the lightbulb and also the leather hanger and the on/off switch. Then I took a light bracket from my old tail light - the one the dutch guy smashed into - and attached that.
Popped the proper lightbulb in and started to do the wiring. I connected it to the right side brake light.
Then I drilled a hole over the right hand rear window and attached the flashlight with a sheet metal screw.
I managed to hide the wires behind the rubber seal that runs around the edges.

I think it looks really cool. Just the style and flavour I wanted.

Mounted and ready
And it even works!
Can't wait to slam the brakes in a traffic jam!

2 comments: