Thursday, October 22, 2015

Headlight headache

Days are getting darker as winter is moving in on us - wish it was moving away. So, good headlights are as important as ever. One of mine thought it was time for a break, so it did. No problem, I'll just go get myself a new H4 light bulb and that's that. Right? Turns out fate had other plans. As I parked outside the auto parts dealer I popped the hood and was about to remove the broken lamp. That's when I found out that this vintage ride wasn't built that way. The light, reflector and glass was all one unit! I had no idea.


So that meant that I would have to replace the whole thing. Went searching the web and soon found out that it would cost way more than just changing a simple light bulb. Way more.

 Searched for alternative sollutions and was happy to find that Biltema sold a conversion kit for vintage cars, and it was pretty cheap as well! That meant that I could have original looking lights with interchangeble light bulbs - hello bright new future!

So I went over to Biltema in Södertälje and got the gear I needed - the conversion kit and a set of H4 lights.

As I got back home and took off the old lights I discovered this!


Turns out I didn't have a Daihatsu Taft after all, it's a Toyota 22!
Just kidding off course. I knew that this little truck was some sort of a joint venture between Daihatsu and Toyota. Also, I believe that some parts from the Taft are the same as on the Land Cruiser 40-series, like the outside door handles and some interior lights and knobs. 

Anyway, I took off the old units and mounted the new ones. It all went pretty smooth. Then I waited for the sun to set so I could try out my ultra modern mega lights. Off I went and was immediately very disappointed. The lights where super weak! Is it possible that my old units where so much better? Where they made better in the seventies? Should I just accept the fact that this is what you get nowadays? I was totally confused.

Then, a few days later, it suddenly crossed my mind, did I pick up a set of 24 volt lights instead of 12 volts at Biltema?
Sure enough, that's what I had done. No wonder the lights were weak!
So today I went over to Mekonomen in Strängnäs and got me a set of 12V Osram Night Breakers and the difference was like night and day.

Well, you can learn a lot by listening to smart people but you can also learn a lot by listening to dumb ones. Thanks for doing the later.


3 comments:

  1. Excelente toda tu información 👏👏Muchas gracias.
    Sergio.
    Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ulf
    Thank's to share all this good information.
    We just bought one Dahiatsu Taft F50 in Canary Island, we love it!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete