Tuesday, September 29, 2015

My latest find - a vintage roof rack

I've spent a lot of time looking for a roof rack that would fit my Daihatsu. Seen a few that would have been almost what I wanted. Not the perfect style, size or price. I was just about to give up, thinking I would have to try and build it myself. Then I found it, the perfect roof rack. And it was orange - my fave color! One problem though, it was located way down south, in Kalmar and that's a 5 hour drive with a modern car. That means something like 6 hours for me.


So I hesitated for a couple of days. But it was quite obvious that this was it, the perfect roof rack! So I spent more than 11 hours in my little bumpy and noisy truck to bring it home.
Was it worth the trouble? OH YES!!! It's just perfect. Love it!


Interestingly it had never been used and the brackets where wrapped in newspaper dating from 1965!
It's quite possible that it was originally made for the national telephone agency here in Sweden - "Televerket". All their vehicles had that bright orange color.


The seller was a real nice guy and his two sons entertained me with their bike skills as I was putting it together. Good times.
You can tell that this rack was built for professional use. Real sturdy and every detail is well made. Still it wasn't very heavy.
I'm so greatful about this rare find!

A perfect fit for my Daihatsu F50. And it even matches the driver!
Yup, it looks good from all angles.
Enjoying a beautiful evening on Selaƶn.
O yeah, almost forgot, those are new tires. My old Nokian's had a lot of thread left but they where getting old and the rubber had gone hard. These new ones are General Grabber TR, 215/80/15".
I had read a lot of tests and reviews and came to the conclusion that these would suit my needs real good. The feel and handling improved a lot.

9 comments:

  1. Supernice!

    //Lotta Moberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ulf,

    I have come late to your party but have just bought an F20 in Australia, so am really enjoying your blog. I am very interested in your comment about the improved handling via new tyres - mine has a diabolically bumpy ride, but has the original tyres (extremely low mileage). Have you made any other changes to improve your ride since you wrote this?

    Cheers,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    No, I haven't done any other changes except the new tyres.
    You write that yours has the original tyres. I'm guessing that the rubber has gone hard with age and that a new set would make a big difference. They can look like new if the milage is low but the rubber gets hard after a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girl's tyres were so original that they had cracks, so had to be replaced with new ones anyway; this made a difference to the ride, which is still diabolical! Which I'm told is how it is with short wheelbase vehicles and leaf spring suspension, so I just try to go more slowly than usual.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, the handling feels like driving a tractor at high speed but I think that is part of the charm :)
    Easy does it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas from AustriaMarch 4, 2023 at 8:29 PM

    Gratulation with some delay for the perfect roof rack : )! I wonder if I'll find something comparable here and around Austria. Greetings, Thomas

    ReplyDelete